Chaired by Kathleen Foley SC, the role of the Board of Inquiry is to inquire into, report on and make recommendations regarding historical child sexual abuse in Beaumaris Primary School and certain other government schools.
You can read the Inquiry’s full terms of reference via this link(opens in a new window) (PDF, 430KB).
The way we work
The Inquiry seeks to adopt a trauma-informed approach that is victim-survivor centred and responsive to how people wish to engage with us.
This approach informs our engagement with the victim-survivor community and the information we release publicly.
You can read more about the ways we have engaged so far on the FAQs page. Our practice directions and guidelines (opens in a new window)provide more information about how we conduct our processes.
The Inquiry also recognises that the use of language is powerful and has developed a language guide to help ensure words and terminology are used sensitively and appropriately at all times.
Sharing information about schools and alleged perpetrators within the scope of the Inquiry
Throughout our work so far, the Inquiry has shared information about schools and alleged perpetrators who are within the scope of our inquiry. The Inquiry has provided this information to assist people to come forward if they felt they had experiences or information which may be relevant.
The Inquiry considers a range of information, including information from the Department of Education, Victoria Police and directly from victim-survivors, in determining whether we can make information about alleged perpetrators and the schools in which they worked public.
In accordance with our terms of reference, the Inquiry does not wish to prejudice current and future criminal or legal proceedings or jeopardise a victim-survivor’s ability to participate in these proceedings. This may limit the information the Inquiry is able to make public.
The Inquiry has identified 24 Victorian government schools that are within the scope of our terms of reference:
- Aspendale Primary School
- Beaconsfield Upper Primary School
- Beaumaris Primary School
- Belvedere Park Primary School
- Bundalong South Primary School (now closed)
- Bunyip Primary School
- Chelsea Heights Primary School
- Cowes Primary School
- Cranbourne Primary School
- Dandenong North Primary School
- Dandenong West Primary School
- Drouin South Primary School
- Emerald Primary School
- Hampton Primary School
- Kunyung Primary School
- Mirboo Primary School, now Mirboo North Primary School
- Moorabbin (Tucker Road) Primary School, now Tucker Road Bentleigh Primary School
- Moorabbin West Primary School (now closed)
- Mount View Primary School
- Ormond East Primary School now McKinnon Primary School
- Tarraville Primary School (now closed)
- Tarwin Lower Primary School
- Warragul Primary School
- Warragul Technical School, now Warragul Regional College.